iPhone app possible?

gary hayenga vandg at speakeasy.org
Sat Jan 17 12:45:25 CST 2009

Jan 17, 2009, at 12:25 PM, valentina-request at lists.macserve.net wrote:

> Message: 2
> Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 09:11:27 -0700
> From: Dave Parizek <david at parizek.com>
> Subject: Re: iPhone app possible?
> To: Valentina Developers <valentina at lists.macserve.net>
>
> Just to store data on, and for my purposes a database is probably more
> than I need for that app.  Plus, I have to cancel that idea anyway
> because I am unable to find a bluetooth scanner that will work with
> the iphone yet, and my project depended on that.
>

> On Jan 14, 2009, at 11:47 PM, Ruslan Zasukhin wrote:
>
>> Yes, we will need separate build Valentina for iPhone.
>>
>> David, do you think about using this iPhone app to store data on
>> decide or
>> for remote access of vserver?

Just to store data on the phone itself would be kind of silly.  The
built in SQLite database is good enough for pretty much everything
you'd need to do on the device.  Anything that Valentina can do that
SQLite can't the device just doesn't have enough processing power to
support anyway.

The real value of having it would be communicating with Valentina
Server via TCP/IP.  Since there are currently *no* database server
drivers for the iPhone and everything has to be done via a webservice,
which I personally find a *very* annoying intermediary step that
should be unnecessary in most cases.

If you could talk to VServer natively then being able to use a
Valentina database for local storage would be nice also, as you could
then use the same code to store data locally when you were off-line as
to store data on the Valentina Server when you were online, and it
would make syncing much easier.

Bluetooth anything except mono headsets won't work with the iPhone
yet.  Unless you're talking about jailbroken devices the official SDK
doesn't support anything via bluetooth except mono audio input and
output.  They will eventually I'm sure, but it's probably way down the
list.