Opening time after startup of Windows

Leo Van den Brande leo_van_den_brande at wxs.nl
Sat Jan 3 18:44:33 CST 2009

Hi Ruslan,

Your help is so welcome!

>> Empty DB by cloning without records: size 82 Mb; time with Val cache
>> 20 Mb: 10 sec, with Cache 250 Mb: 30 sec.
>
> And later

>> Decreasing the Val cache to 20 Mb Increases time somewhat and 150 MB
>> had no influence.
>
> I have not catch.
>
> In FIRST paragraph you says that 20MB cache is faster of 250MB
>
> But in second you say that 20MB Increases time ??
> Typo ?

Sorry, Ruslan, I forgot to mention that the second statement refers
to a DB of 196 Mb and that Cache 150 is compared with my usual 250 MB

In comparisons I always compare results obtained in the same series
of tests.

So in one series I got:
Empty (82 Mb): Cache 20: 10 sec. Cache 250: 30 sec. (as mentioned above)
Filled (196 Mb): Cache 20: 57 sec. Cache 250: 50,49,61,50. Perhaps
better to say: "not clearly different" rather than than "increased
somewhat"

In another series I used a DB of 196 and compared Cache 150 with 250 Mb.
Size 196: Cache 150: 33,44. Cache 250: 29,45.

>> The testers, using widely varying PC's reported long times as well.
>> These varied between 20 and 45 seconds (note this is only on opening
>> the DB after startup of the PC). Excluding the antivirus program gave
>> some reduction in some but not all.
>> There were two exceptions:
>> - one very fast: 1.3  seconds with Intel Core-2, 2.5 Ghz, 4Gb RAM,
>> both Windows XP and Vista.
>> - one extremely slow: 209, 11 and 9- seconds on repitition with a
>> Dell Inspiron, Ghz not reported, 512 MB RAM(!)
>
> This force me to think about RAM !
>
> So if you ask CACHE 250MB,  Windows must get this free space
> somewhere.
> It start cleanup space.
>
> Strange that AFTER startup this require some time ...
> Hmm.
>
> So main advice is -- do not set default cache so huge.
> Or it helps later during work of app ?

I did only 20, 150 and 250 MB. I may do some tests and do all in one
series: 20, 50 100,150 and 250.
I do not expect later work to be affected, but I can look at that.

>> 2. Does the delay have to do with reindexing or are there other
>> factors involved? Can I suppress indexing? If so, how exactly? I
>> cannot find this in the documention.
>
> For single table only
>
> See please in wiki section PROPERTIES of table
>
> http://www.valentina-db.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?
> id=paradigma:public:en:documen
> tation:vsql:reference:reference
>

>> 3. Could the long time be suppressed in the student's version by
>> making the database Read-Only before compilation?
>> Ruslan suggested: In the properties specify Read only flag for db
>> files.
>> But where and how exactly do I set this flag? I looked in vain in the
>> documentation and tried a lot of things, with no success!
>
> Right in the windows
>
> You have db file, right click by mouse -> menu Properties
>
> Here checkbox readonly

  I will look into both tomorrow.

>> Well,  can you prepare for me archive to download
>>     with app
>>     and with this 191MB db
>>
>> I think compressed archive will be about 100MB - not a problem.
>>

>> I will download it, and try to see what happens during these 44-50
>> seconds.
>>

> This is a great offer.Thanks Ruslan, appreciate this!
> I have no site of my own, can you indicate where to upload the
> archive.

I prepared a small test program for Windows. Together with the DB and
a Mac build, the zipped folder is 33.5 Mb.
I can add a couple of small test programs with different size of RAM
than my usual 250 MB.. What do you suggest?

Thanks a lot!

Leo