Opening time after startup of Windows

Leo Van den Brande leo_van_den_brande at wxs.nl
Sat Jan 3 10:11:40 CST 2009

Hi Florian and Ruslan,

> Just for thinking: did you try opening the DB asap after you turned
> on the
> PC or did you wait for the PC to boot completely and to finish all
> bootup
> activity and service starting and Startup virus check and harddisk
> activity
> and so on...?
>
> If not this might well be a reason for the very different results.
>
> Florian

Thanks, Florian.
I did both but it seemed not make a difference. In addition I also
tested after exclusion of any service I could miss. with no
difference. I have done many tests after excluding the antivirus
program and there was, only little effect. On other machines it was
variable.

> Well,  can you prepare for me archive to download
>     with app
>     and with this 191MB db
>
> I think compressed archive will be about 100MB - not a problem.
>

> I will download it, and try to see what happens during these 44-50
> seconds.

This is a great offer.Thanks Ruslan, appreciate this!
I have no site of my own, can you indicate where to upload the archive?

> --
> You see, in the past, if db have many VarChars and Indexes then on
> db.open
> each of them was touched to read its HEADER.  But later we have
> implement
> LAZY load of headers. As far as I remember, 3.5.2 already have this
> LAZY
> algorithm.

Is this implemented as the default or should it be set somewhere.
Anyhow for the program all tables must be available immediately.

> So it is not clear to me what happens during this time.
>

> Another bad thing can be - automatic REINDEXING ...
>     if this happens you must be able see this in the
>     Warnings_xxxxx.log file line(s)
>
>         "Reindex field FFF"
>
> Please check this file if it exists near to your .app or db.

You mean not from the Valentina engine but from Windows? On the
machine I have excluded automatic indexing and I see no warnings_ log
file.
The DB file is not Read-Only, does Valentina perhaps do a re-indexing?

> Okay, more idea.
>
> Once somebody also have complain on slow db.open()
> But later I have found that in fact as "open" he have mean
>     open and do a lots of initial queries to pre-load some info.
>
> What about Your case, Leo ?

No initial queries.

> Do you talk EXACTLY about db.Open() time?
> Or something else yet ?

It includes reading a text file with only the name of the database,
filling a canvas with a cartoon present in the project (800 Kb) and
storing the name of the DB as textfile.

> ----
> Also note that MAC OS X and Windows both have virtual file systems.
> And we
> know they work very different.

I know little or nothing about virtual file systems. What could I
expect?

>> Results:
>> Windows. First opening:  Actual DB:  44-50 sec, Large DB:  115-121
>> sec. Second opening of the program without going out of Windows: 2
>> rsp. 3-4 sec.
>> Mac. First opening:  Actual DB:  6 sec, Large DB:  14 sec. Second
>> opening without going out of the Mac: 6 sec in both instances.
>> Empty DB by cloning without records: size 82 Mb; time with Val cache
>> 20 Mb: 10 sec, with Cache 250 Mb: 30 sec.
>
> Hmm. Really strange.
>
> By idea from disk must be loaded the same info size,
> And cache size should not affect.
>
> Then idea comes -- may be issue in INIT of cache bugger itself?
> It must be filed by zero. But it hard believe that
>        memset( p, 0, 250MB )

Should I test this? If so, can you give me a hint how to go about it?

> Takes 20 seconds on Windows...
>
> May be only if Windows is required to UNLOAD other applications
> from RAM to
> disk to give 250MB to Valentina.

I never have other applications running and once tested tasks: there
was only one.

> May be there is no sense to have such huge cache?

I once tested with 20 Mb Val Cache. Time was in that case 57 seconds,
compared to the runs just before with 250 Mb, which gave 49, 50, 50
and 48 seconds.

Thanks.

Leo

Leo Van den Brande