VReport general idea

Thorsten Hohage thohage at genericobjects.de
Thu Feb 26 08:57:16 CST 2009

On 2009-02-26, at 14:47, Beatrix Willius wrote:

> Oh my god!!! This is much too complicated. What about a simple pivot
> query? Group the data as you need it and do a pivot over it with the
> count.

No it is NOT complicated, only much text to type as I stated several
times in my mail. But at least when you need 12 columns, you need it
and you need to type it.

You see the columnnames?  Of course Valentina offers a monthname()
function, so in this case it is not difficult, but in many other cases
it is difficult when you're going to use pivot functions. Then you'll
end up with a big case-statement to find out the right "columname" for
this row.

Furthermore when knowing how to do this in the way I've done, then you
can do so many more things, e.g. think of systemmigration, so for the
first 4 months using the old tables, and for all other the new ones.
Insert logic, if in the middle of the year some more sales staff must
be kept in mind, ...

And while thinking about given scenarios perhaps 50% can be smarter
build with pivot, but the other part will be never build on pivot
functions.

Of course there may be so many more smart ideas, how you can solve
this with few lines of code and without duplicating all the code for
each month manually. E.g. write a nice meta Stored Procedure
generating the strings with a few given parameters and then simply
call an execute() on this string :-)

But while we can discuss all this high-end-sql a beginner will perhaps
be lost right before the word "pivot". So sometimes is a longish,
simple statement where you can see the idea behind a better solution.

regards,

Thorsten Hohage
--

Valentina Technology Evangelist
generic objects  GmbH - Leiter Solution Center Nord