Making installation smoother

Brendan Murphy bmurphy at truenorthsoftware.com
Thu Feb 19 10:02:35 CST 2009

Ruslan wrote:
>> I would do all the library sets. You never know what some hot shot
>> developer might come up with in automating their builds.
>
> But right.  All libraries ARE inside of vcomponents folder.
>
> ADK == plugin + vcomponents
>
> All ADKs  (V4MD/V4RB/...) have the same vcomponents

I think we are slightly talking about different aspects. I mean publish
all 4 sets of libraries which includes...

- Valentina Libraries for Linux
- Valentina Libraries for Mac OS X (Universal Binary)
- Valentina Libraries for Mac OS X (PPC)
- Valentina Libraries for Windows

>> Correct. Please give them each a logical separate name for the
>> folder (like vcomponents_ub, vcomponents_ppc, vcomponents_win,
>> vcompnents_lin), otherwise we have to rename them when dropping
>> them in each time we upgrade.
>
> May be yes -- than more that we drop into APP not vcomponents itself
> for
> WIN, PPC, Linux but its items.
>
> ATTN: on Windows its not possible create ready for use MAC app,
> because we
> need yet install_name utility to correct DYLIBs paths

The purpose of these libraries is to allow for easy upgrade in
automated build systems. The installer you currently have will not
change in installing the libraries for that specific platform. The
libraries we download that we are talking about here will be
placed in the build system where they can be easily updated.
Therefore the reason I say name the folders as vcomponents_ub,
vcomponents_ppc, vcomponents_win, and vcompnents_lin is to make
the process of upgrading the components of the build system as
easy as possible. If you name the folders in each download
vcomponents, then we have to rename them each time before
installing them.

As for Window users building Mac applications, you never know what
some ambitious developer may do in the future. If I were in that
situation, I would get a Mac mini as a build machine and place the
libraries on there and set up a daemon to build the final package
and in that case having the  libraries in an easily accessible
place would be very desirable from the upgrading
point of view.

Does this make sense? Please give us maximum flexibility to do
whatever we want to do in our build systems.