Opening time after startup of Windows

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Tue Feb 17 03:11:01 CST 2009

On 2/16/09 7:39 PM, "Leo Van den Brande" <leo_van_den_brande at wxs.nl> wrote:

Hi Leo,

> Recapitulating:
> The problem is that opening time of the database after startup of
> Windows is very long.
>
> Develop on Mac with RB 2008 2, and Valentina 3.5.2, and build for Mac
> and Windows.
> Mac OS 10.4.10, 1.0 GHz, 1 GB RAM. Recently Mac OS 10.5.6, 2.5 Ghz
> Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 Gb RAM
> Windows: XP, 1.7 GHz, 1.24 GB RAM
>
> Previous analysis:
> You stated: "...And now I see that although for VarChar I have provide  LAZY
> read of header it is not made for BLOB. So this will be my FIRST step to
> improve your issue."

> For my testing you have provided a Valentina Studio (v4) in which this
> is implemented. There was a reduction: from 40-45 sec. to 20-23 sec.

Yes, not helps to you.

> Next, you considered the need for defragmentation:
>
>   "...I see yet that Defragment() is not ported from 1.x code.  Wow. :-(
> So we must do this also of course.
> MAY BE it also will improve things...
>
> You told me you would prepare a version in which this is implemented.
> I was waiting for that.

Yes, but sorry I must spend time now to prepare 4.0.
Deadline.

After 4.0 I will return back to Defragment()

> Present situation:

> Previously, the database resided on the harddisk. With a truly large
> DB this is not possible. So, I have changed my program such that it
> reads from a DVD and adjusted the installer accordingly.
> For testing, I prepared a DB that comes close in size (1.7 Gb) to what
> it will grow to (2-3-GB).

I have not catch. Your app copy some info from db  on DVD to db on HDD?

What problems to have on HDD big DB?
HDD is bigger of DVD.

Please explain this point.

*******
> Some recent results: note that on second opening without going out of
> Windows the time is always short (2-3 seconds).

> DB 1.6 Gb on DVD:
>  From within the whole program (59 Mb for exe): 98-99 sec.

> From a test program (same code for opening DB but a minimum of other
> functions (34 Mb for exe): 47-55 sec

> In VStudio (v4): 20-23 sec.

> So, VStudio is quite efficient. With my program, opening time seems DB-
> size-dependent.

** This just have no sense for me if you really really really talk about
    db.open() only.

Valentina ENGINE is the same for all 3 apps you name.
Right?

Valentina Engine inside of db.open() do 100% the same job.

So why Vstudio get 20 seconds, but your app 98 seconds.
For me this only sounds as in your app you measure not only db.open() but a
lots of other calls to db engine. Can this be?

*** You point that Vstudio is v4.
    Your apps also on v4, yes?

*** Only possible difference between these 3 apps can be CACHE SIZE.
    is it the same for all three apps?

*** You can compress your 1.6Gb db, to I think 300-500MB. And put it on FTP.
    I can download it and fire on DVD.

    You can compress your 59MB and I can download it.
    then I can play with this again even on old P4 computer.

> Since the opening process is done from within Valentina, is it
> possible to catch and store the information that Windows stores in its
> cache? When this is done once at installation of the program, could
> that information then be reused when opening the program? Or Is this
> too wild an idea?

No.

I have point that as far as I see even rename of disk file - force windows
forget it from cache