[V4REV][FAQ] Deployment...

Ruslan Zasukhin ruslan_zasukhin at valentina-db.com
Tue Dec 29 08:24:38 CST 2009

On 12/29/09 6:55 AM, "Warren Samples" <warren at warrensweb.us> wrote:

Hi Warren,

> It is partly a question about deployment (building the standalone) but
> also about installation within Revolution itself. It seems that it
> should be unnecessary to install and run Revolution on each targeted
> build platform in order to be able to install the necessary Valentina
> files in each final application. It seems far more convenient, as well
> as more in keeping with the "build on one platform, deploy on three"
> development environment that Revolution promises,

This is right, you almost correct have catch reality.
See my prev window about why and how ...

Yes, Revolution itself CAN do this.

SMALL Externals also can I think.

But Valentina DB is quite big. It is about 10MB for WIN and Linux, and about
20MB for MAC (double because PPC + Intel).

Yes, SqlLite is much smaller, on the other hand, compared by power DB, e.g.
MySQL starts archives from 50-60MB for single platform. MS SQL from
80-100Mb.

> if the necessary
> Windows files were available to the build process within Revolution for
> Mac and vice versa.

> Certainly, the installation and build documentation
> should mention the fact that this is not the case. But... why isn't it?

See above why.

> I see that you offer enthusiastic support to your customers, so I trust
> you will accept my comments in a positive way.

No problems :)

You can see and will see that we accept any comments, critic and ideas with
happy. We all together should build success :-)

> I just see the current method of distribution to be not ideal and the fact
> that documentation neglects the issue entirely, confusing.

Yes, I agree that we should add to Deployment pages link to new FAQ about
build on foreign platform...

Let me know if you have more questions.

Again, with some efforts, if you understand how Revolution manages
externals, you can setup own MAC to be able build WIN apps.

And I think it is possible add bash/rev scripts to copy required files into
required places ...

After this build should be as simple as single command in REV IDE.