Import data - problems

Greg Olson-Hyde greg at hawkmount.com
Tue Aug 25 17:15:46 CDT 2009

On 25/08/2009, at 11:11 PM, Thorsten Hohage wrote:

> As Bart already mentioned, if this is a serious task - and it seems
> too - then *I* would import everything in varchar fields and then use
> one / some SP(s) to move the data to the final destination. Perhaps
> this strategy is easier then to deal with a lot of regex before
> importing.
>
> Btw. many dumps, e.g. one generated withe the _loved_ FileMaker Pro
> can have a lot of invisible chars in columns that are intentionally
> not thought to be used with such chars ->>> many trouble. All this can
> be avoided with such a two step import, too.

Hi Thorsten,

Possibly a stupid question from a potential newbie, but what is an SP?

Is there documentation to show how to move the data? I was just going
to change the field types after import - this seems like it is NOT a
good idea :((

My data started life in the 'loved' FMP, was moved to SQLite and now
to Valentina. I spent a LOT of time cleaning the data after FMP.

Thanks to all of you for your help on this (and other) issues.

Cheers

Greg Olson-Hyde
Sydney Australia

2.8 GHz Quad-Core Mac Pro