Setting date fields to nullable

Steve Albin steve at steve-albin.com
Sun Aug 23 11:57:40 CDT 2009

I have a data field that is not set to nullable.  I am writing a
conversion for this database to change the schema so the field
will be nullable using the following code:

   newDateFld = VDate(BaseObject.Field("dIssueDate"))
   newDateFld.IsNullable = True

After doing this, the schema is set correctly, but several of
the legitimate dates are set to null also.  I would expect the
dates stored as 00/00/0000 to be set to null but not legitimate
dates such as 1/1/1990.

Is it legal to set a field to nullable this way after it has
already been loaded with data?

Should I unload the field to a file and reload it before and
after changing the schema?

Steve

--
Steve Albin - Montclair, NJ