Geographical indexing

Thomas Flemming tf at ttqv.com
Sun Apr 19 13:11:08 CDT 2009

Hi Ruslan,

thanks for your detailed answers.

>> Using API, cascading calls to FindRange() is slower.
>
> I do not see why it can be slower.
> It should be faster.

resultSet = fldEN.FindRange(False, .SouthInt, 90 , False, resultSet)
resultSet = fldES.FindRange(False, -90 , .NorthInt, False, resultSet)
resultSet = fldEW.FindRange(False, -180 , .EastInt, False, resultSet)
resultSet = fldEE.FindRange(False, .WestInt, 180 , False, resultSet)

This is 20% slower for me then one sqlselect.
Buts its maybe a vb.net-thing.

I tested binding, but it does not give a speed improvement.
But I only tested for a single Select, no Union.
A single Select without Union is actually the normal case, but always with
changing parameters.

>> Unfortunately there is no spatial index like a rtree in Valentina.
>> Do you maybe plan, to add this?
>
> Well, we was asked about this may be year ago.
> Just for now this was not high priority.
>
> Yes this feature should be useful to have.
> But I cannot promise when it will be done.
> We can talk about this off list if you want.
> I need take a loot at least how hard is this to see time estimate.

Yes, I would like to discuss this with you off list.

Best regards
Tom

--
**   Dipl.-Ing. Thomas Flemming