[V4MD] Importing text with high ASCII chars

Irv Kalb Irv at furrypants.com
Tue Sep 30 17:16:56 CDT 2008

Hi,

I've got all my tables built and all my code ported from V12 to
Valentina!  Again, I appreciate all the help.  Only two more issues
remain.  Here's one of them.

In a number of fields, my original data includes high ascii values.
Specifically, I have data that includes the following three
characters:

   165   bullet character
   210   opening smart double quotes (slanted from left down to right)
   211   closing smart double quotes (slanted from right down to the left)

When I import fields with these characters in them, they are
converted to question marks.  When I look at them in Valentina
Studio, they appear as a diamond with a question mark inside.  And
when I retrieve the data from these fields, they come back as simple
question marks.

I'm assuming that this must be a problem with how I am importing the
data.  These characters show up in both 'string' and 'varchar'
fields.  I set up my tables with the appropriate creatStringField or
createvarCharField statements.  Then I am importing a whole table at
once with the following statements:

   curs = gDB.SqlSelect( "SELECT * FROM " & sTableName, #kClientSide,
#kNoLocks )
   if CheckValError() then exit
   curs.importText(sFileName, TAB, RETURN, "", TRUE)
   if CheckValError() then exit

The documentation says that Valentina uses "UTF-16" as a default, but
when I tried using "UTF-16" for the encoding, my Director program
hangs and I have to force quit.  I found that using the empty string
("") allows it to work, but results in losing the high ascii
characters.  How can I import text with these characters?

I hope there is an easy fix for this one.

Thanks,

Irv

--

Multimedia R Us