Suitability of Valentina for Adobe Flex

Bart Pietercil bart.pietercil at cognosis.be
Fri Sep 26 03:48:18 CDT 2008

On 25 Sep 2008, at 10:46, Ruslan Zasukhin wrote:

> On 9/25/08 11:41 AM, "Bart Pietercil" <bart.pietercil at cognosis.be>
> wrote:
>
> Hi Bart,
>
>> Hi Ruslan,
>>
>> while we welcome being able to use flex (we will more and more use it
>> for our apps), I believe the way forward to communicate with flex
>> (and
>> others) is xml.
>
>> So implementing VServer as a soap server is in my view more
>> interesting (and broader, not only windows) then working through ADO
>
> Well agree here.
>
> Although note Zinc have some plugin system. We will check it later.
>
> XML in VSERVER. Plan is first of all to implement latest extensions
> of SQ:
> 2003. 3-4 functions like
>
>    SELECT forest(x)
>
> Which return not cursor but XML text.

You mean the functions as described here ?

<http://docs.openlinksw.com/virtuoso/composingxmlinsql.html>

> Now I wonder why we delay this ... I think implement it will take
> just few
> days.

Please (BIG please)

> It is much more hard task to accept XML on input and parse it and
> split XML
> info to tables...

I think it is more important to be able to say to a client that
Valentina is an open system ( in the sense that other systems can
query Valentina) than being able to say to a client that Valentina can
query information FROM other systems. And it is certainly more
important being able to say my system can share its data with other
systems than having to say it cannot share at all. (ODBC is from
another century....)

I know that in the coming weeks I will be confronted with sharing info
with a SAP system (SAP system needs to read user info, I need to read
courses info from SAP). If I wouldn't have to worry about getting the
info out but only on getting the info IN, I saved 50% on resources and
billing.....

So yes I consider it a big deal

The coming weeks we will be sitting together (and this is another
client than the one above) with the government agencies to discuss how
we will exchange information from VServers with their Oracle databases
and I can assure you the only thing they are willing to discuss is xml
based protocols.

Now about receiving xml.
Couldn't we for starters since we have local temporary tables now
consider an incoming xml as 1 connection and parse the info over a
number of local temp tables and then have the proper stored procedures
in place to insert or  update the information in the permanent tables?
This would give us the opportunity to validate the data.

just my 2€

tia

Bart