[V4MD] Empty field returns <void>, can it return ""? -- YES using IFNULL()

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Wed Sep 24 02:14:56 CDT 2008

On 9/23/08 8:18 PM, "Irv Kalb" <Irv at furrypants.com> wrote:

Ji Irv,

> My customer creates their tables in Excel and exports them to tab
> delimited files.  In some of their records, they have no entry for
> one or more fields.  For example, they may have a record with fields
> (all are 'string' fields):
>
>    A  B  C  D  E

> And a record may look like:

Right. And \t\t   means for Valentina    NULL value.

-----
> In this record, there is no value for D.  When I try to get this
> record in my application, I get a list back like this:
>
> ["ValueOfA", "ValueOfB", "ValueOfC", <Void>, "ValueOfE"]

This is Lingo list

> Which seems perfectly reasonable.   However, I am converting code
> from V12 to Valentina, and in the same situation, V12 returned a list
> like this:
>
> ["ValueOfA", "ValueOfB", "ValueOfC", "", "ValueOfE"]

Okay, easy

<http://www.valentina-db.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=paradigma:public:en:docume
ntation:vsql:reference:expr:functions:flowcontrol>

Here see function ifnull()

You need just change your SELECT to be as

    SELECT ..., ifnull( fldD, "" )