Tables

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Mon Sep 22 03:34:59 CDT 2008

On 9/22/08 11:11 AM, "Bart Pietercil" <bart.pietercil at cognosis.be> wrote:

Hi Bart,

>> GLOBAL | LOCAL  -- not works yet.
>> Always works as GLOBAL now.
>>
>> Yes of course this is very nice feature.
>> LOCAL TMP TABLEs in the scope of user connection.
>>
>> Nice here is that other users do not see your tables.
>> All users can use the same table name not caring about conflict with
>> other
>> users.
>>

> I suppose this is not something that will be available next week ?

Right, next week this is tooo long time for us :)
May be 2-3 days enough for this task

> I think I will need to work with  connection based (@) userid's in the
> global table then.

> Next question: what is difference between temp and permanent and is
> RAM only applicable for temp ?

No.

You can have disk-based TMP table.
Difference will be that

a) it will be stored not in the .dat file,
    but in the .tmp file which is created by Valentina in the special
    TEMPORARY folder of each OS.
    So in case of crash your .dat file is not affected.

b) TMP table is not stored into schema of .vdb file.
    so again, after crash of system, .vdb file is not affected.

---
REMIND:
    since Valentina have unique vertical storage of tables,
    we have even TMP fields, which you can "attach" to permanent
    disk-based tables.

    We do this self, for example, when we convert RDB link to
    ObjectPtr links.

> Of course I understand what the difference between temp and permanent
> is but would like to have more details on the impact of choosing one
> or the other in the light of what I need for the stored procedures.

> So a few more questions:
> can a temp table relate to other tables with all referential checking
> intact?

* I not remember now if we have TMP Binary Links...
    but

* if your TMP table have link which is based on just its field (i.e. FK) or
ObjectPtr field then no problems. Right? Information about link is inside of
TMP table itself...although here we need check if Schema is affected in .vdb
file.

> What does make an end to the live of a temp table ?

DROP TABLE

SHUTDOWN

CRASH OF SYSTEM