Tables

Bart Pietercil bart.pietercil at cognosis.be
Sun Sep 21 14:54:39 CDT 2008

Hi Ruslan,

can you explain a bit more about

CREATE [OR REPLACE] [ {GLOBAL | LOCAL} TEMPORARY] [RAM]

creating tables:

this is what I am looking for

I need a way to convert some csv-string (I take csv but any delimiter
will do) that I pass as an argument into a stored procedure to be
converted to an array.
After some looking and reading I understood that in SQL arrays need to
be interpreted as tables (no arrays defined in sql).

So this makes me think I can use this vector for resolving the problem

1) sp receives in argument of type string (varchar?) which is in fact
a list (a,b,a,f,d,r,...)
2) string is passed to a function that generates a table (if not
exists ?)  and inserts (after parsing the string) the passed info into
the table
function returns the table id to the calling sp

sp does a select on the temp table and receives the arguments as a
cursor
and now we are in business.
I can loop over the arguments.

The most important question for now is twofold:

1) Can I create a 'private' temp table. Private meaning in the same
scope as connection variables. If not wouldn't that be a good feature
request ?
Or is this what the LOCAL means in the create table statement (I
didn't find explanations on global/local temporary and ram based in
the WIKI)

2) If it can't be private what would be the best type to use ?

as always,

tia

Bart