addRecord() returns VOID

Markus Fraefel markus.fraefel at futurestudios.ch
Tue Sep 16 04:14:38 CDT 2008

Hi,

I am a new user of Valentina 3 for Director (11). I managed to create a
database with 2 tables in Valentina Studio: table_1 and table_2
Now I want to add records to those tables with Lingo. I am using the
following code:

table_1.setBlank(#forAdd)
table_1.Field("name") = "hello table 1"
newID = table_1.addRecord()
put newID

The result with table_1 is an integer. So far so good. The record was
created.

But if I am using the "same" code for table_2 in a handler called
"makeRecordTable2" and call this handler directly:

table_2.setBlank(#forAdd)
table_2.Field("name") = "hello table 2"
newID = table_2.addRecord()
put newID

The result from table_2 is VOID.

However, if I call the same handler "makeRecordTable2" directly after I
created a record for table_1, the record will be created and the result is
an integer.

This is very confusing. Why can I create a record for table_2 only if a
record for table_1 was created immediately before?

Hope, someone can help me.
Markus

FUTURE STUDIOS AG
Ernst Müller Str. 8