Exceptions checking -- BEST SOLUTION from Ivan and Ruslan.

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Mon Sep 15 03:51:23 CDT 2008

On 9/14/08 10:11 PM, "Bart Pietercil" <bart.pietercil at cognosis.be> wrote:

Hi Bart,

* We do not see any need provide third XML.

    - this may bring a lots of mess.
    for example,

    a) vserver works for 2 companies on ISP.
    Working with XML Admin of vserver need take care about location
    of this XML file then info vserver about it. But each company may
    want to have own XML file, so we get need make engine quite complex
    to handle this.

    b) if you open your db with procedures without vserver, but directly
    by vstudio, then ops, you do not have your error codes. Right?
    This is BAD.  So you need somehow direct Vstudio to that XML file? Bad.

* Next our idea was --

    okay, lets store custom Error Codes into .vdb file as we do
    with tables, triggers, SP, ...

    Wow, looks not bad.

    This way solve automatically problems with
    * parallel work of 2 companies on single vserver
    * direct open of db by vstudio -- and error codes are here!
    * move .vb file to another computer and errors code still here!!

    Nice Nice Nice.

    And for this we could add 3 new SQL commands

        ADD USER_ERROR errNumber, errString, errLang
        DROP USER_ERROR errNumber
        SHOW USER_ERRORS

    And you Bart can easy get this of errors into PHP and RB
    to build and fill structures of these languages to show
    strings to end user.

    Really, what difference where from you get info to fill structures?
    from XML or from cursor as result of SHOW USER_ERRORS ?

* And Finally have to think:

    Why WE should do this inside of engine?

    You have ALL TOOLs on hands to resolve this task in your solution with
    practically THE SAME EFFECTIVENESS.

    Look.

    CREATE SYSTEM TABLE BartErrorCodes
    (
        errNumber       Integer INDEXED,
        errString       VarChar(2044)
        errLanguage     String(20) or USHORT        // name/code of language
    )

    Then you can do just

    SELECT *
    FROM BartErrorCodes
    WHERE errLanguage = 'French'

    fill structure of PHP or RB and be happy.