Checking to see if Valentina database is open RunRev

william humphrey shoreagent at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 14:10:29 CDT 2008

I just got an interesting answer to my question from J.B. on the RunRev list
-- so I'm going to see if I can be successful where he wasn't:

He said:

Hi William,

On January 16, 2008 I asked a question about how to determine if a database
is open.  The question is listed below.  There were answers and question
that
I asked about the answers.  Look at the thread carefully.  I believe it
includes
the answer but after that I focused on other parts of Valentina so I still
need to
do to.

It would be nice if they included a function with Valentina to give a simple
true
or false if a database is open instead of looking at the list.  I don't
think they
understand how important this would be for Rev users so they probably will
not make the function.

-=>JB<=-

I am trying to check if a database is open or not.

I use the following:

on mouseUp
 answer file "Select DB:"
 put it into dbPath
 if dbPath is empty then exit mouseUp
 put VDataBase_IsOpen(dbPath) into var
 put var
end mouseUp

I have checked and dbPath contains the proper
path for the database I select.

If the database is open this should put True into
the message box but all it does is show an empty
message box.

Anyone know what I am doing wrong or how to
check for the open status of a database?

thanks,

Thanks for your prompt answer JB.

I searched the database of old strings and I cannot find any answer for how
to check if the database is being used by another program. The only answers
I found were:

1. Don't do that ):  -- figured that one out myself as it results in instant
crash on Mac OS. I believe that on windows other bad things happen.

2. Use excellent multi-user server version of Valentina.

Both of those are excellent answers but I'm still looking for a way to check
if the database is open by another program from within RunRev. There must be
a way to do this.

PS - When I post to the RunRev mailing list I get a German reply that says
something about my post not being accepted.