Exceptions checking

Bart Pietercil bart.pietercil at cognosis.be
Fri Sep 12 04:07:50 CDT 2008

Hi List, Ruslan

while looking and playing with the exceptions some questions remain:

1) Can I use the <description> in Stored Procedures instead of the
numbers (much clearer) as they are defined in the sql_errors.xml and
kernel_errors.xml.

2) Do I understand correctly that both files are used in exception
checking ?

If yes then why are there 2 files instead of 1 with all the exceptions ?

3) Do I understand correctly that we can edit the <GROUP name="User-
defined errors"> in order to raise our own exceptions (as long as we
stay in the predefined range)

Maybe as a feature request there could be a third file named
user_defined_errors.xml that would need to have the same structure as
the other two.
Difference would be that Paradigma can  while updating replace the two
'standard' files without overwriting the user_defined_errors.xml.

4) Do I understand correctly that in order to be used these files HAVE
to reside in the vresources directory.

5) Can a stored procedure return the <message> and <comments> xml
nodes to the calling client ?

  If YES how ?

If NO  we will return the error to the calling client (in our case php)

a) can we do this like this:

EXCEPTION
     WHEN ERR_CONSTRAINT_UNIQUE_VIOLATION THEN
         return  ERR_CONSTRAINT_UNIQUE_VIOLATION
END;

and will this then return the <sqlstate name= *****> number ?

b) later but first I need an answer on these questions

tia

Bart