valentina string field size questions

Joseph Morgan joseph at checkos.com
Thu Sep 11 23:06:11 CDT 2008

> On Sep 9, 2008, at 8:08 AM, Ruslan Zasukhin wrote:
>> So LAZY way is -- use TEXT
>>
>> More labor but can be more effective way -- use couple of VarChar
>> and TEXT
>> fields. TEXT field will be used only for strings longer of 2044.

I was thinking about this. If a record is added and the field is left
empty does it still take up the disk space?

Please tell me if the following assumptions are correct:

Example Record we will call it "TESTREC":
field1 is a VarChar Field and has a length set to 400 but only has 50
chars used <<< this takes up 400 chars worth of disk space
field2 is a VarChar Field and has a length set to 700 and all 700
chars are used <<< this takes up 700 chars worth of disk space
field3 is a TEXT and uses 4000 chars <<< this takes up 4000 chars
worth of disk space

so "TESTREC" uses 5100 chars worth of disk space

Is this correct?

Thanks,

Joseph