Cloning Dilemma

Steve Albin steve at steve-albin.com
Thu Sep 11 17:37:24 CDT 2008

I am trying to upgrade my app from V4RB 3.01 to V4RB 3.5.2.  Of course, this requires that Valentina upgrade the internal data structure of my database and I understand that.

My database that I was using successfully in version 3.01 for about a year was crashing on a weird SQL error after conversion to 3.5.2.  I submitted a Mantis bug report and this error was confirmed and reported as fixed for version 3.6 (or whaterver version we'll get).

Of course, I don't want to wait till version 3.6 (or 4.0) to get my app up to speed, so I added a step to clone my db after the conversion and this fixes the problem with the SQL bug.

All seems good until one of my users reports an error after he converts his database.  Seems the last record created on one of the tables gets replicated 81 times after the conversion.  After some debugging, I determine that all is ok after the conversion from 3.01 to 3.52, but the cloning is adding the replicated records.  If I remove the clone step, everything is fine.

So, for one database, cloning fixes a problem, for another database, cloning adds a problem.  It seems that upgrading to version 3.52 is out of the question and I trying to figure out how I can keep my app up to date and deliver upgrades to my users....

--
Steve Albin - Montclair, NJ
http://www.jazzdiscography.com/