valentina string field size questions

Joseph Morgan joseph at checkos.com
Mon Sep 8 23:52:44 CDT 2008

Hello,

I have a few questions regarding text field sizes.

1. What are the maximum field sizes for the following fields?:
string
varchar
text

2. Should it matter which one I use string, varchar,text?

3. In vstudio, the what is the unit type for length? IE.
characters,bytes, kb?

4. Is the field length a "place holder" in the database? For example,
if the length is set to 750 and you have 1000 records the actual disk
space used is 750X1000?

Or is only the actual space used for the data occupying that field
being used?For example,
the length is set to 750 but only half the space for each field is
used with 1000 records is it
750X1000 or 375 X 1000?

My reason for asking is I have a table with 100,000+ records with a
field called "details".
Most of the records are less than 750 characters long. But some are
over 2500 characters long.
If the table has 100,000+ records and this field is setup to deal with
the 2500 characters, the disk
size may be too big.

thanks in advance for any help

Joseph