Performance of encrypted db?

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Tue Oct 7 09:30:03 CDT 2008

On 10/7/08 3:28 PM, "Tiemo Hollmann TB" <toolbook at kestner.de> wrote:

Hi Tiemo,

> I would like to encrypt my db, so that nobody can either read its structure,
> nor its data. As far, as I've understood the docs "kStructureOnly" would be
> enough for that.
>
> What I would like to know, is this the right straight forward way to do that
> or in which case would you want to encrypt the records if you also can't
> read the records, when encrypting the structure?
>
> Second: Is there any relevant difference in performance (in reading the
> encrypted db records), if I encrypt the structure or the records?

1) Encryption of DATA -- gives penalty about 2-3% only.

2) If you encrypt only structure, then your DATA still can be catched,
generally speaking by HEAD EDITOR, right ?

    Yes Valentina's format is COLUMNAR, so it will be VERY HARD,
    I'd say impossible to get correct RECORD with all N fields,
    But who know, may be even LastName of some person in some db is
    huge secret.