Valentina Digest, Vol 71, Issue 12

Leo Van den Brande leo_van_den_brande at wxs.nl
Mon Nov 24 15:13:30 CST 2008

> On 2008-11-24, at 09:52, Leo Van den Brande wrote:
>> Under Windows XP, opening my DB the first time after starting up the
>> computer takes long.
> You are talking about "opening" the DB in sense of local usage and not
> connecting to a server? For the further I'm going to assume this ...

Right.

>> Some data:
>> Actual size: 191 MB, Tables 34, Index nr: 297, presently residing on
>> the harddisk,
>> Large DB for testing: size: 513 MB, same specifications,
>>
>> Times:
>> Windows. First opening:  Actual DB:  44-50 sec, Large DB:  115-121
>> sec. Second opening: 2 rsp. 3-4 sec.
>> Mac. First opening:  Actual DB:  6 sec, Large DB:  14 sec. Second
>> opening: 6 sec in both instances.
>

> Hm, the sizes didn't sound that big for me, not a small one, but not
> hugh. IMHO the differences between Win and Mac are really astonishing!
>
> Did you check this on only one machine or on several windows machines?

Only on one machine thusfar. However, the program will be distributed
this week to about ten collaborators for feedback.
I will leave the timing routine in the program and ask them about
their findings.

> Was this a real machine or a Virtual PC running on a Mac?

Real.

> When thinking about "opening" a file with such a delay, a Anti-Virus
> comes to my mind really fast!?!?! Probably there is no one running on
> the Mac and perhaps the one on the Win machine did a close look on the
> first start up - can you check to see if there is something running
> and try to switch of before starting for the first time.

That is a hit!
After turning off my antivirus program (Norton Antivirus) on the Win
machine, time droped dramatically!
Opening program after starting the computer, opening time DB:
- DB of 191 Meg: 8 seconds. On second opening of the program without
turning off the computer:  2 seconds
- DB of 513 Meg: 9 seconds. On second opening of the program without
turning off the computer:  2 seconds

So, without the antivirus program running, everything is normal and
size doen't matter. I hope to learn from the testers what other
antivirus programs do.
The diagnosis being mede, I do not know where to go from here. I can
barily ask the students to turn off their antivirus program when
using my program.
So what to do?

BTW, I have a antivirus program running on the Mac (VirusBarrier X5),
but that doesn't seem to influence much.

> Did you try to open the DBs e.g. directly in Valentina Studio? Are
> there the same differences? Especially when reading that you are using
> REALbasic (I have my OWN experience with it especially WIN <> MAC) I
> would really, really check if there is something else going wrong
> during start up on Win!

At present, I have VStudio installed only on the Mac, the platform I
develop on. I can download the Windows version and try it out if you
think that may lead to a refined analysis of the problem..
Also, I'm very axious to learn what your thoughts are on "something
else going wrong".. What would you look at?

Many thanks, Thorsten!

> From: Ruslan Zasukhin
> I do not see what version of Valentina ?

Version 3.5.2

> Any Valentina logs on disk created ?

Not that I could find.

Thanks a lot, Ruslan.