COUNT_LINKED...

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Fri May 9 04:47:02 CDT 2008

On 5/9/08 10:47 AM, "Danny Lewkin" <daniel.lewkin at cognosis.be> wrote:

> Hi List,
>
> say I have a record in table A,
> and a pointer to that record in Table B,C,D and E.
> To see if the pointer in table B is pointing to that record in table
> a, I can use the COUNT_LINKED(table A, linkname) function.
> Now, I want to know, if the pointer ANY of the for tables (B,C,D and
> E) is pointing to that record.
> IS there a possibility to do this with 1 function, instead of writing
> 4 COUNT_LINKED statements?
>
> If it doesn't exist yet, can this be done, and is it usefull enough
> for a mantis feature request?

Hi Danny,

So if talk on HIGH LEVEL of abstraction for your data structure,
it sounds like Table A is PARENT,
        Tables B, C, D, E contains some child records.

Right?

And in fact you need get info
    IF EXISTS ANY CHILD for some parent record.

**** Now let me talk about DREAM-solution ****

How we solve such task in OOP ?

We have for "classes" B,C,D,E common parent class Child.

Then we get this structure:

 [A]- link to - [Child]

                   + -- [B]
                   + -- [C]
                   + -- [D]
                   + -- [E]

Right?

Then we do

    childs = A.get_ChildCount();

This is how we dream to be able solve this task in Valentina also.
But this is feature most probably for Valentina 5.0