BLOB fields

-= JB =- sundown at pacifier.com
Sat May 3 23:15:13 CDT 2008

I am using Valentina with Revolution and have some questions
about BLOB fields.

When I add a new field to my table it adds the field for every
record and every new record.  So if I add a new field named
'State' every record has the field state.

 From what I understand about BLOB fields they do the same
thing.  So if I want to create a field with TEXT or PICTURE then
I create the BLOB field and every record has one.

The question concerns space management with BLOB fields.
What if I have 200 records.  Each record will use 1 TEXT field
and at least one PICTURE field.  The problem is some of the
PICTURES will be maybe 33KB while others might be 256KB.
And some records will have 1 or 2 PICTURES while others
will have 5 or 10 PICTURES.

It seems like a lot of wasted space if I  allocate space for every
record to have 10 PICTURES at the largest size when I don't
need every record to have 10 PICTURES and they don't need
to be the largest size either.

What is the best way to manage BLOB fields where the amount
and size of the PICTURES needed vary from record to record.
Is there a way to make a BLOB for each record insted of making
it for all of the records.  Would it be better to have a link and then
make a special table for each record or what is the best solution
anyone would suggest to save as much space as possible.

-=>JB<=-