Select distinct

Ivan Smahin ivan_smahin at paradigmasoft.com
Thu Mar 20 05:37:14 CDT 2008

Hello Mr.,

> Hi List, Ruslan

> struggling with this query which seems simple enough

> the query

> select distinct name from tbl_indicators returns the records I want.
> However in this selection I want to see all fields from the table so I
> (mistakenly) thought I could do

> select distinct name, recid from tbl_indicators

> but this returns all records. I can see why but I don't see how I can
> resolve my problem

select distinct f1, min(recID) from t1 group by f1

Thinking of it - "distinct" gets only single record from the set of
records with equal values. If we want to select another fields we
want to get "any" record from the set of records with the same f1.
So, we have to define "the rule" which record must be treated as
"any" :)

So you should use min(), max() and others aggregating functions.

Ivan Smahin
Senior Software Engineer
Paradigma Software, Inc
Valentina - The Ultra-Fast Database