Vstudio do not recognize db created by other user

Thorsten Hohage thohage at genericobjects.de
Sun Jun 1 08:16:06 CDT 2008

Hi,

On 2008-06-01, at 14:20, william humphrey wrote:

> Thanks -- then this means that if you want to use Valentina Studio in
> combination with a custom RunRev solution (and as Valentina Studio
> keeps
> getting new features many will want to do this) then everyone must use
> Valentina server. I guess I better start learning that.

this discussion came up from time to time and I must admit I didn't
understand it.

A Database with one connection means nothing else then data is stored
to disk. At least it could be a simple text file, many, many years ago
in the "good ol' times" ISAM files was state of the art, ...

Then may be around 1980 - 1985 computer become connected with networks
don't ask for the technology - Arcnet was  dream to set up *lol* -
THIS was the time where e.g. Novell offered technologies to share
files with other users.

Btw. this was the same time where such phenomenal products like DBase
hit the PC. And there was data access technologies like B-Tree or C-
Tree offered by Novell on the servers.

And this was the year where 3 "small" companies sitting together and
developing the idea for a cool product - a DATABASE SERVER!!! Guess
who? Of course Ashton Tate (the provider of DBase), Sybase and
Microsoft :-0 - yes, all of them at a table! Because they recognize
that they need a strong software to deliver data access for the
future. While Ashton Tate died silently, Sybase get the Sybase
Adaptive Server Enterprise and Microsoft the MS SQL Server. And in
contrast to all marketing they both had have the same source for years.

Of course many other vendors of database prodcuts was not able / don't
want to use the "big technology" and keep shared file access, to
mention one of them doing it over all limits: FileMaker Pro.

Of course installing a Novell C-Tree, or an Oracle 6 or 7 on Windows
was a science for itself. Remembering I visited a special one week
course on installing and optimizing Oracle DB!!!

But thanks, this time have changed completely, now you can intall
several db servers really easy and at least Valentina can be installed
with a double click - try it, do it and never think about it again!

So to summarize all this, why to request a technology that was already
20 years ago the past of software development?

But not only history should be the argument!

When developing software and trying to implement you algorithm the IDE
will crash from time to time, or due to some mistake, your mastermind
brains doing a loop to much, your fingers hit the wrong key, ... an
algorithm goes crazy, a procedure chooese the endless loop to keep
alive. Now what are you going to do? Righ - kill the damn thing, show
your software who is the master in the house.

But whether crashed or killed, you always risked file damages of open
files. When using the local way, your database file is opened local
and included in the potential files to being loosed.

But why doing this? Installing the server, loading the db file in the
server is a job of minutes and will save you many times.

Automated scheduled backup using the server is another very important
argument, at least for me.

Or simply fire up VStudio to check the data or administer the DB while
the IDE is up and running, or starting the last build version and
running all together against the same database.

A database with more than one connection means real fun for the big
boys (and course girls, too).

regards,

Thorsten Hohage
--

Valentina Technology Evangelist
generic objects  GmbH - Leiter Solution Center Nord