Navigation through DB with Revolution

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Tue Jul 1 14:30:03 CDT 2008

On 7/1/08 10:16 PM, "william humphrey" <shoreagent at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for that answer. So I should rethink and go back to using SQL way.
> One other reason I'm using the API way is because the example (the only
> example that there is) for RunRev and Valentina uses that method.
>
> It's too bad there aren't one or two more examples for me to copy.

Wrong.

We have set of API examples, and corresponded set of SQL examples.

May be you mean examples on links?

But it is so simple...
you just do joins like in relational model.

Or you just use some KEY field value

** Let you know Person ID and want find its phones:

    SELECT *
    FROM tblPhones
    WHERE fldPersonPtr = 25

** Or let you want get join of persons and their phones:

A) Foreing KEY

    SELECT *
    FROM tblPerson p join tblPhones ph ON p.id = ph.Ptr
    WHERE p.name = 'brian'

B) RecId + ObjectPtr

    SELECT *
    FROM tblPerson p join tblPhones ph ON p.recID = ph.Ptr
    WHERE p.name = 'brian'

C) Bianry Link

    SELECT *
    FROM tblPerson p join tblPhones ph ON linkPrsonPhone
    WHERE p.name = 'brian'

OR with Valentina if only one link between table you can be lazy

    SELECT *
    FROM tblPerson p, Phones
    WHERE p.name = 'brian'

All this is explains in WIKI I believe.
    Check section about how Valentina differs from others.