migrating to 3.5.1 - time to use links?

Mr. Bart Pietercil bart.pietercil at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 02:59:43 CST 2008

On 23-jan-08, at 08:51, Ruslan Zasukhin wrote:

> On 23/1/08 7:01 AM, "Robert Nichols" <robert at formworkdesign.com>
> wrote:
>
> Hi Robert,
>
>> v4rb, macosx, vserver
>>
>> I have been putting off learning binary links and changing my code
>> (lots of it) to go along. But as I try to get my project working with
>> 3.5.1, I wonder if I need to change to make 3.5.1 work. I know this
>> is
>> probably widely known info, but I can't make it out clearly on the
>> wiki. I pay attention to this list for a few months when I'm
>> developing, then don't see it for a few more when I take a break from
>> developing (its an application that runs my small office - no other
>> users or commercial interest).
>>
>> Anyway, my code choked by calling vcursor.objectptrfield. I see this
>> method of casting was removed in 3.5. Has other objectptrfield
>> functionality been eliminated, thus I need to be using binary links?
>> Or is it not a significant change, I just can't cast an
>> objectptrfield
>> the way I did previously?
>
> Do you mean that Vcursor.ObjectPtrField() is dropped?
>
> Right.
>
> Use instead Vcursor.ULongField()
Hi Robert,

maybe just to clarify (because I think it was due to our remarks that
vcursor.objectptrField is dropped):

ObjectPtr as a concept only has (big) value inside a table. It ties
two tables together by pointing from record n in Table A to record 1
in Table B.
The moment you build a cursor there are no longer tables to be pointed
to so the functionality of an objectpointer inside a cursor becomes
non existent.
Hence the VALUE of the objectPointer in your table is reported as a
ULong inside a cursor and you can read its value as vcursor.ulongfield()

hth

Bart Pietercil