Damage a database

Thorsten Hohage thohage at objectmanufactur.com
Tue Feb 19 13:09:12 CST 2008

On 2008-02-19, at 19:16, Beatrix Willius wrote:

> is there any way to damage a database on purpose, except to apply a
> hex editor? I'm chasing a database corruption, which I can't
> reproduce, and I want to test my recovery methods.

There might be several methods to damage a db, but I'm afraid most of
them are not reproducible. And many other might be risky to damage
much more, then only the db-file, e.g.

* use an external disk or an USB-device and remove it physically while
Valentina writes to a file that's on this medium

* plug the power chord (of course not on a Laptop ;-)) while Valentina
writes a file

* try to use an usable but obvious damaged disk

* try to use usable but damaged main memory

* try to provoke a kernel panic

And try to make some nice stat files for this list how many usb-sticks
and hd's you damaged physically before a Valentina file becomes
damaged ;-)))

regards

Thorsten Hohage
--