Slow start up times

jda jda at his.com
Sat Feb 16 11:55:48 CST 2008

>> I set my cache to 8 MB, which is good for several thousand records.
>> That's not so large. It has to increase to maintain speed if one gets
>> to 5000 records or more, and so on.
>
> Up to which size, Jon?

I think 50-100 MB is probably the max that really helps, although I
personally haven't pushed it this hard.

> At last of end you SELF can implement some strategy against of this
> In your
> app. Check then size of your db, and get cache size based on this info
>
> Easy ?

Not really, since the cache can only be set on startup.

If a user opens a second (or third, or fourth) database and the cache
was inadequate, what could I do? Tell the user to quit and relaunch? I
don't think so.

Also, FWIW, I frankly wouldn't know how to check to see if the cache
was inadequate -- I have no insight into that at all. Only Valentina
could do that (or the user, seeing things get slow).

Jon