Slow start up times

jda jda at his.com
Sat Feb 16 09:19:39 CST 2008

On Feb 16, 2008, at 10:11 AM, Ruslan Zasukhin wrote:

> Not so easy I think.
>
> Most DBMS have such caches. And such parameters.
>
> Big FBMS have even few caches, and may be future we also will.
> For example, they separate DataCache and IndexCache.
>

> DBMS always must be considered as system which work with DATA FILE
> which is
> MANY MANY MANY times bigger of RAM, so you cannot allow to DBMS self
> allocate more and more. You see?

Hi Ruslan,

I set my cache to 8 MB, which is good for several thousand records.
That's not so large. It has to increase to maintain speed if one gets
to 5000 records or more, and so on. I realize that Valentina can be
used for millions of records and many gigabytes of data, and perhaps
that's what you mean when the data file is many times larger than RAM.
But for more modest applications having a user-defined cache is
cumbersome and, I think, unnecessary. It would be *much* better if
Valentina allocated extra cache when needed -- it would be transparent
to the user on OS X (I can't speak for Windows).

This may be difficult to implement, I can't say, but Valentina would
act like any other Mac OS X app if it did this, and it would make my
user's lives easier (and mine, too, since I have to do tech support
and it doesn't do any good when people complain that as their database
grows, or they open more than one database at a time, it is "slow"! --
the solution is to tell them to increase the cache and restart the app).

Anyway, it's something I'm hoping you can consider.

Jon