trouble getting started

Garth Catterall-Heart garth at productivity-software.com
Mon Feb 4 18:29:50 CST 2008

Hello Ruslan,

>> I'm having trouble getting started using Valentina v2 with Revolution
>> v2.8.1 on Mac OS10.4.10.

> Links from here:
> http://www.valentina-db.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?
> id=paradigma:public:en:documen
> tation:v4rev:v4rev

OK, thanks for these.

> Aha, so V4REV plugin was found and registered successful?
>
> The best way to check this to open V4REV Examples.rev project, and
> try to
> run it. If it works fine, then we know Revolution see and can use
> Valentina.

Yes, it would appear to be installed correctly.

> First of all check our examples and tutorial.

I worked through the first tutorial, and finally got it to run
without errors, but my data does not seem to be saved or retrieved.

Ii consulted the V4REV_Reference but it just made me even more
confused. I can't find a VComponents folder or a Revolution/Contents
folder or the Valentina Kernel.pdf.  I would also be interested in
reading the ValentinaSQL.pdf and ExampleGuide.pdf but they are
missing too.

> Valentina is royalty free if we talk about LOCAL db apps.

My goal is to distribute apps that several users can use on a server
or locally with the db on a server. What are the royalties and
installation issues associated with this?

>> In the online documentation in the section on Setting up External
>> References it says to set the externals of this stack to  "V4REV_2
>> \V4REV_win.dll" &cr& "V4REV_2/V4REV_Macho" but I do not find either
>> of these files on my computer. Is this for a newer version? Is there
>> some other documentation I should be working with?
>
> This is deprecated from REV 2.6
>   And I remember this online docs underline it.  DEPRECATED.

I do not see this anywhere on
http://www.valentina-db.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?
id=paradigma:public:en:documentation:v4rev:howto:external_reference

> Well, it seems to me, problem only qith Query Builder.

I agree.

> My advice is -- in fact most developers DO NOT use it.
>     If you want some GUI for quick tests of SQL, just use our
>     Valentina Studio. It is much more powerful of Rev db tools.

Is there a Valentina Studio for v2? If so, how do I get it?

> And in your REV application you need just use
>     a) native Valentina API
>     b) OR RBDB API
>     c) OR MIX both
>     d) OR use third party db wrapper -- DB Library from Trevor Devore

Google could not find any references to DB Library from Trevor
Devore. Do you have a link?

Regards,

Garth Catterall-Heart