GROUP BY MONTH?

Thorsten Hohage thohage at genericobjects.de
Sun Dec 28 04:16:13 CST 2008

Hi Ruslan,

On 2008-12-28, at 11:01, Ruslan Zasukhin wrote:

> On 12/28/08 11:20 AM, "Paul Gaspar" <devlist at revolversoft.com> wrote:
>
> Good general way, although if table going to be big I afraid it is
> not best
> by speed. Internal query will produce tmp ram table, and no index on
> that
> fields.
>
> IF you will need max speed for this task then I think better create
> Table
> Method in this table
>
>    YearOfDate     "year(mydate)"     INDEXED
>
> And use it in the query
>
> SELECT YearOfDate, ...
> FROM table
> GROUP BY YearOfDate

But Paul had written in his first mail, that he do not want to create
methods for every query he may think of.

So I think it's really time to think about this issue again and how to
implement it in Valentina without using tablemethods. What about
internally created "virtually" method. So when a user does a query
with a group by on a computed column, the sql parser recognize this,
creates a method on the fly, does the query and e. g. on the next
close all these methods are removed. So while running a second
execution of this query might even been faster. ....

Just some "dreams" ...

regards,

Thorsten Hohage
--

Valentina Technology Evangelist
generic objects  GmbH - Leiter Solution Center Nord