Valentina for iPhone - Discussion.

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Wed Dec 10 12:42:12 CST 2008

On 12/10/08 8:03 PM, "gary hayenga" <vandg at speakeasy.org> wrote:

Hi Gary,

> The advantages I can see that Valentina would have over SQLite would
> be it's support for foreign key constraints, nested transactions and
> more complete alter table support.  That is the SQL92 things of
> course, not counting the extra Valentina features.  Speed might be an
> advantage as database size grows, but mainly there could be a
> tremendous synching advantage here.   There aren't currently any
> database drivers, including ODBC, for the iPhone, so any communication
> with MySQL or other RDBMs can't simply be done with binary data over
> TCP/IP, but has to be done via web services and XML, if it could be
> done with VServer, and the licensing fees weren't too onerous, that
> would be extremely useful.

Well, we need synch first of all with Valentina Server,
Not with mySQL :)

We do not need ODBC drivers for this.

IPHone will be the same Client to VSERVER, so any special license issues
here. Your VSERVER can accept N or INF connections, never mind from where.

> The (possible) disadvantages that I see are, the size overhead it
> would add to each app and possibly how much RAM it uses.  I've only
> used Valentina 1 and 2 so perhaps 3 is much better in the RAM usage
> department, but the iPhone has less than 100 meg of available RAM
> (after the OS takes it's share) and no virtual memory.

Size of app itself yes, will jump few MB.

But size of RAM I believe can be less of SqlLite or OO frameworks. Just take
a look on their SqlLite books example. They load all PKs for all records.
Wow.  We can do that only one bit for one record.