Valentina for iPhone - Discussion.

Thorsten Hohage thohage at genericobjects.de
Wed Dec 10 06:45:55 CST 2008

On 2008-12-10, at 13:40, Ruslan Zasukhin wrote:

> On 12/10/08 1:40 PM, "Jochen Peters" <jpeters at genericobjects.de>
> wrote:
>
>>> * Do you see ideas of tasks when somebody need power of Valentina to
>>> manage
>>> say 8-16Gb database on small iPhone device ?
>> No - i do not think that the iphone will become the storage device
>> for
>> large amount of data! In fact on iPhone we use smaller db's - maybe
>> subsets of bigger ones on some central server...
>
> If somebody have offline needs ?

Keep in mind one real IMPORTANT issue ... there are only about 128 MB
memory available in the iPhone for all the apps. If there is an app
consuming to much memory, then iPhone OS is simply killing this app,
because there must always enough room left for an incoming call or SMS.

So of course it will be possible to handle a 4GB db on the iPhone,
caching and many other things must be re-thinks twice, its not only
about to recompile the libs and go.

Furthermore while there is indeed Obj-C 2 on the iPhone, it's NOT the
full "standard", so especially the garbage collection is not
implemented. The developer must care about memory handling. It's not
only the issue of optimizing Valentina for a 4GB db with so many
memory available, the developer must really wrap his brain about
wrapping the data into the objects for the app.

regards,

Thorsten Hohage
--

Valentina Technology Evangelist
generic objects  GmbH - Leiter Solution Center Nord