Valentina for iPhone - Discussion.

Jochen Peters jpeters at genericobjects.de
Wed Dec 10 05:40:01 CST 2008

Hi guys!

> I wonder what you guys think about this direction?
> Do you see any benefits if we port Valentina to iPhone?
Yes - of course. There are several benefits - and we don not have to
consider only the obvious user benefits - there is also a benefit in
becoming more popular - at least more people knows that there is another
database called Valentina...(if we do it the right way)

> On first look I see it as providing of
> 1) libVClient.a
> 2) libVKernel.a
> 3) libVClientAndKernel.a
Yes - technical this is the base we will need - at least 1)

> * Do you see ideas of tasks when somebody need power of Valentina to
> manage
> say 8-16Gb database on small iPhone device ?
No - i do not think that the iphone will become the storage device for
large amount of data! In fact on iPhone we use smaller db's - maybe
subsets of bigger ones on some central server...

> * Does speed of Valentina will be really exposed on iPhone working with
> LOCAL  datbase, taking into account its style of work with data. In
> particular I mean that on iPhone we usually work with single current
> record... Although we can work with list of 100K records...
Speed always matters...

> * Vclient library to give access to VSERVER of course looks nice
> opportunity...Although thinking about this very fast we come to need of
> sync
> data to be able use them offline. So we need really then Valentina loal
> db,
> because it will be not good idea try to map 25 Valentina field types into
> 5
> types of SqlLite.
Yes - absolutly agree!
LATER we will need syncing (see above) - but first of all we can start
in theses steps:

1) libclient only
2) simple and nice admin for Valentina Servers
3) simple SQL queries

later we can have:
- Forms (maybe they can be developed by vStudio and then pushed to iPhone)
- Syncing
- Reports

My feeling is that we MUST provide something! At least a simple Valentina
Server Admin app - to show people that Valentina is "ahead of the curve.."

Jochen Peters
generic objects GmbH