updating values in a VCursor

Steve Albin steve at steve-albin.com
Sat Apr 26 11:43:50 CDT 2008

I am using RB2008r1 and V4RB 3.01.

Let's say I do a query that returns a few hundred records to a cursor.  I would like to iterate through the cursor and update some fields, but not update the record in the database.  Then, I would like to iterate through the cursor again to access the updated fields.  What I am finding is that the updates made to the cursor are not saved once I move off that record.

Here is a pseudo-code example of what I would like to do:

    Select fld1, fld2, fld3 from table1

    do
        myCursor.Field(2).SetString "new info"
        go to next cursor record
    loop until endOfCursor

    myCursor.position = 1

    do
        msgbox myCursor.Field(2).GetString
        go to next cursor record
    loop until endOfCursor

Fields fld1, fld2, fld3 are VString fields.

The msgbox displays the original value of the field and not the "new info" literal value I set it to.

I am assuming that what I am trying to do is allowed in Valentina, maybe it is not.   If this is allowed, what am I doing wrong?

Steve

--
Steve Albin - Montclair, NJ
http://www.jazzdiscography.com/