Deleted Database issue

Thorsten Hohage thohage at genericobjects.de
Sat Apr 26 06:49:59 CDT 2008

Hi,

On 2008-04-26, at 13:34, Chris McConnell wrote:

> While testing lesson2-6 I found something strange. The first time I
> execute
> the program a database gets built and all things work fine. I then
> deleted
> the database and tables from Vstudio and ran the example and the
> Vexception
> was never produced when the database was missing and the program
> failed with
> a nilobject error.
>
> So I restarted the Vserver and the exception was now produced and
> all worked
> fine again.

Sorry, I must say I didn't get you here. I think you've a typo in the
last sentence, a "not" would make more sense.

So

a) you did the lesson "2-6" and the app creates a database on a VSERVER

b) you deleted the tables out of this database OR did you delete the
whole database?

c) next part I simply didn't get - did you get an exception, when?

Some points:

* Are you really executing your code against a VServer? You create the
db on the VServer and keep it running there?

* Maybe the sample is not aware, that a db is there, but no table
inside? Or isn't aware to find a db at all with the name used in the
lesson. I must admit, I doesn't know the lesson, so you perhaps should
debug the sample and find out where the exception is thrown?

* Did you check all the log's and further more what log-level do you
choose? Choose the highest log-level and see what's in the log files
to see what happens.

* And not to forget, what versions of VServer, VStudio, ... are you
using.

> It was like Vstudio deleted the database but the Vserver was not
> aware the
> database was gone.

Are there more connections to the DB than the one from you VStudio?
E.g. you app is still running and the connection to the db is still up?

I think the appropriately way to get rid of a db is to first de-
register the db at the server and then delete the files. Btw. I just
checked it and for me deletion through VStudio works fine.

regards,

Thorsten Hohage
thohage at genericobjects.de
--

Valentina Technology Evangelist
generic objects  GmbH - Leiter Solution Center Nord