A few questions re Valentina compared with SQLite

bigbird greg at hawkmount.com
Sat Apr 19 08:02:05 CDT 2008

Hi,

I am currently using RB 2007r5 and the built in SQLite db - I have
struck a problem and need to know if Valentina is a solution.

The things I need to know about Valentina are:

	1. I have a db with 50,000 records - I need to search and find, say,
just the whole word 'HAT' in a long string, SQLite also finds 'tHAT',
'wHAT' and 'HATter' - how would Valentina handle this?

	2. The current SQLite db is compiled inside the RB app - how is the
Valentina db compiled? Will my end user see any difference?

	3. The current SQLite datafile is 30 MB containing two tables - one
with 5,000 records and 15 columns the other 50,000 records and 8
columns, is the Valentina datafile likely to be larger or smaller?

	4. I have only just started to come to grips with SQLite (being a
refugee from FMP), how different is the implementation of a Valentina
db?

	5. I want to sell my first single user shareware product for around
$30, how does the Valentina pricing fit? Which Valentina option would
best suit? I have looked at the website and can't figure it out - sorry!

	6. Can I upscale to a network solution at a later date? If so, how
much does the code change? How much would it cost:   a. Me?   b. The
end user?

Cheers

Greg Olson-Hyde

Sydney Australia