trouble with this select

Joseph Morgan joseph at checkos.com
Tue Oct 30 20:49:48 CDT 2007

Hello everyone,

Ok here is my select:

SELECT departmentName as 'myDepartmentName',sum
(itemsales.itemsalesamount) as 'itemsalesAMT'
FROM departments,itemsales where departments._rowID =
itemsales.itemsalesdepartmentID
group by itemsalesdepartmentID
order by itemsalesAMT Desc

and of course I get this error:
"Kernel error: 0x42508. In the SELECT clause you can use only fields
listed in the
GROUP BY and aggregative functions."

I see that it is illegal to mix aggregate and non aggregates but in
mysql this select works.
Any ideas on how to cheat and work around this?

  i want this result:
myDepartmentName		itemsalesAMT
----------------------------		--------------------
dept1					100.00
dept2					104.00
dept3					50.00

One more thing,
For me the changes required to switch from mysql to valentina have
been somewhat difficult.
Am I the only one? It would be encouraging to know that I am not the
only one struggling.

Thanks,
Joseph