Table Methods

Thorsten Hohage thohage at objectmanufactur.com
Fri Oct 19 02:06:04 CDT 2007

On 2007-10-18, at 11:06, Ruslan Zasukhin wrote:

> On 18/10/07 2:22 AM, "Thorsten Hohage"
> <thohage at objectmanufactur.com> wrote:
>
>>> Well I am not familiar at all with methods.
>> It's not a common feature for most DBs, so that's ok ;-)
>
> * Well, FileMaker have during 15+ years the Calculated Fields.
>     idea is the same

After a hard and long discussion with some Claris Reps on CeBit while
I'm staff on a part booth of the claris booth about serious issues
with FileMaker they finished discussion by pointing out, that
FileMaker IS a competitor to Excel not to Access - whohow - but after
that I never count FileMaker as a DB anymore

> * as I know MS SQL 2005 also have urgently add this feature,
>     because MS have see it in Valentina  :-))))

Yes, and this pretty nice Adaptive Server Anywhere (not the BIG ASE!)
Sybase bought together with PowerBuilder was also capable of defining
column with a type of a JavaClass ;-) (long before other RDBMS)

But as written in my first mail "uncommon" for "most" DBs - go out
and ask ten "common" DB-guys (no, not high professional level) how
table-methods :-)

regards

Thorsten Hohage
--