Last really stable version?

Thorsten Hohage thohage at objectmanufactur.com
Tue Oct 16 05:45:59 CDT 2007

Hi Barry,

On 2007-10-16, at 09:19, Barry G. Sumpter wrote:

> I have to keep reminding myself.
>
> Pick a version.
> And stick with it.

I think this depends on the "style" of your app, if you think about
"box moving" than this may be different from custom software. BUT
even in  this case I would keep a deployment and test system with the
version used in the official release and not stick development to the
old one.

> Each db version has its own idiosyncrasies.
> i.e. its own set of issues.
But Valentina is the vendor with the fastest time to fix, IF a
serious issue occur. Of course there are some very kinky versions,
e.g. AFAIR 2.9, BUT they was replaced in a few days.

For me the common improvement between to versions are enough reasons
to switch.

> Don't make the mistake of changing db versions just before release.
> Else you'll lose your controlled environment.
OK, some days before release I could pause updating, too. BUT this
includes System Updates, e.g. RB updates or better ANY change of the
machine. But, except you do inhouse development and everyone is fixed
to a state, you need to Update e.g. Mac OS X to have the same version
as the next client and then there is no argument left to not update
any other version.

> To make my point, MY most stable version is 3.1.
> I've been developing against 3.1 for the last 5 months.
Due to some (not remember what) smaller issues, I upgraded all my
clients to 3.2. and they work without any issue. During the last
weekend a exhibition management system with heavy use was deployed on
VServer 3.4 and four machines with local/file-usage on 3.4, too. All
without any issues.

So IMHO 3.3 and 3.4 are reliable and stable, too.

> I recently tested my apps against 3.4 and found all kinds of issues.
> Too many to start coding around again.
Btw. what version of RB are you using? I found THAT issues ways
heavier than any of the Valentina issue and while Valentina will
offer help immediately and release of patch (in average) in hours or
days, RS prefer to strictly keep the 90 days????

regards

Thorsten Hohage
--
objectmanufactur.com - Hamburg,Germany