SQL Confusion

Bart Pietercil bart.pietercil at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 03:54:23 CDT 2007

Hi List,

I am a bit confused on the correct way to update a record through sql.

What we did in RB was obtaining a read/write cursor and update the
cursor.

Now I see that I can obtain a cursor through

Valentina.SqlSelect(
     inQuery as String,
     inCursorLocation as EVCursorLocation = kClientSide,
     inLockType as EVLockType = kReadOnly,
     inCursorDirection as EVCursorDirection = kForwardOnly
     inBinds() as String = nil ) As VCursor

but normally in SQL I would do SQLExecute("Update......")

Will the sqlexecute raise an error when a record is part of a
previously created cursor?

I would expect so

But  (as I already said totally confused) when I want to work
exclusively with SQL (no class way, so no cursor ?)

how can I "reserve" a record for updating BEFORE sending an sqlexecute
( "Update....").

So the confusion seems to be

I can do

SQLSelect("select anid.....,kServerSide,kReadWrite)

but then I "must" continue with class-way (cursor.Update......)

And I want to use SQLExecute("Update...")

I hope the question makes sense....

Bart