Null and concat

Thorsten Hohage thohage at objectmanufactur.com
Fri Oct 5 07:38:05 CDT 2007

Hi Bart,

On 2007-10-05, at 14:03, Bart Pietercil wrote:

> SELECT CONCAT('Va’, NULL, ‘na’);
>
> crashes VStudio

no - I got a "unexpected token NULL"

> SELECT CONCAT('Va’, NULL)
> I get unexpected token NULL.

same here and IMHO this is ok, because NOBODY would type a constant
NULL in a concat statement.

BUT

when I do

select concat(name,'-',firstname,'-',company) from visitors where
city like '%burg%'

and there is a row with name = null and firstname = null I would
expect reading the wiki, that I'll get "NULL" as result, but I get "--
objectmanufactur" now while this is fine in many situations to handle
NULL as an empty string in string operations, the wiki tells
something different.

Furthermore I then expect that NULL are always handled as empty
string in any string operation.

regards

Thorsten Hohage
--