The need for speed

jda jda at his.com
Tue Nov 27 10:30:19 CST 2007

>  > 1. Open local and remote dbs.
>>  2. Compare records and see which need syncing.
>>  3. Close remote db.
>>  4. Present use with a dialog asking if the sync should proceed.
>>  5. If yes, reopen remote db and do updates.
>>  6. Close remote db.
>>
>>  It's pretty fast except steps #3 and #6, which are very slow if I use
>>  broadband and a server like .Mac (up to 100 seconds to close the db).
>>  So the sync takes an extra 3.3 minutes just to close the remote db!
>
>* And you have disable V4RB LOG, right?

Hi Ruslan,

Logging is off.

>* if just do
>         Vdatabase.open
>         Vdatabase.close
>
>     for this remote db, then it also takes long ?

Yes. I get the spinning beachball.

>Jon, actually you start to do client/server tasks,
>     and you try avoid to use Valentina Server.
>
>IMHO its time for you start to use it for such tasks.
>Speed can go up to 17-20 times comparing to network access.

As you know, my app is a consumer app for single users and is not
meant to be networkable. I think VServer would be overkill for simply
allowing db sync.

>But in the first case you have nothing to WRITE, yes?
>Then flush() has nothing to do...

I would have thought so. I turned logging on and this is all I see:

D a t a b a s e _ C l o s e . . .
 r e t u r n

But it takes a long time. I'm at a different location now with a much
faster connection and it still takes 10 seconds to close (just .open
followed by .close). I can see this with viSQL, too.

I'm taking this offlist and I'll send you a link to a db on .Mac so
you can see for yourself with viSQL.

Jon