locks and valentina studio

Danny Lewkin daniel.lewkin at cognosis.be
Wed Nov 14 03:44:36 CST 2007

Hey list, Ruslan,

while debugging my program, I have a cursor locking a record I
selected in a table.
If I break my program, after the cursor is created (with lock), I
can't view that table anymore with vstudio (not with the data editor,
and not with de sql editor). Actually, Vstudio CRASHES if I try to
view a table with locked records with the data editor!!)
I find this wrong. VStudio is also a debugging tool for me. I RB, I
can not see the contents of a cursor, I have to declare variables,
and then put the values of the fields in them.
This is a lot of extra work, just for debugging. Furthermore, if a
field (for example a long field) is NULL, and I would do something
like this:
intVariable = MyCursor.Field(longfieldname).Value (or .integervalue),
intVariable would be 0 (not NULL), because I declared it (dim
intVariable as integer).
So I can not see, during debugging, what the actual value of that
field is, not in RB, and not with VStudio, because the record is locked!

Well, I'm asking for a solution here, and I can think of 3:

- making it possible to make a sql SELECT statement in vstudio with
the sql editor and showing the results
- making it possible to open the data editor in a sort of read-only-mode
- and the coolest thing would be : changing the RB plugin, so that
the contents of a cursor is displayed during debugging (just like a
listbox, or dictionary)

I don't know how diffucult this would be to implement, but if any of
you at valentina can see it happening, I would be more than happy to
put this into mantis!
If it would be up to me, I even let VStudio override ALL locks, as I
would think that someone using VStudio knows what he/she is
doing...at his own risk....

Greetz,

Danny