BACKUP question

Thorsten Hohage thohage at objectmanufactur.com
Fri May 25 08:46:01 CDT 2007

Hi YSD,

On 2007-05-25, at 14:39, Ruslan Zasukhin wrote:

> On 5/24/07 6:26 PM, "YSD AG" <support at ysd.ch> wrote:
>
>> Hi Ruslan
>>
>> Only a quick question: Is it possible to suppress the generation
>> of a new
>> folder with BACKUP DATABASE TO…? As I see, the command always
>> creates a backup
>> directory named with date_time. Because we would use BACKUP
>> DATABASE TO for a
>> temp copy and the burn the resulting files to a DVD. The next
>> backup should
>> overwrite the previous one – only not to waste space.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Fabian
>
> Hi Fabian,
>
> I believe this is not possible, BACKUP was intended to create NEW
> copy.
>
> What you want --- sounds as db.Clone

If you're on a Mac - you're done ;-)

WHat I used to do in the last months, build an automator workflow(s)
and save it as an iCal event. Then I use iCal to schedule these
tasks. So I can "save" as many copies as I want to execute over the
day - advantage you only lost 2 hours and not a day, burn the last
one to DVD or in my case move it to the official back up folder
(which is then backed up to a tape) and delete the older ones.

What is really nice in this situation, even a common user is able to
re-schedule the events in iCal e.g. if the company decided to work
two hours longer,...

I'd prefer NOT to overwrite old backups!

regards

Thorsten Hohage
--
objectmanufactur.com - Hamburg,Germany