Getting LIKE %you%

Chuck Pelto cbpelto at pcisys.net
Fri May 25 07:24:16 CDT 2007

On May 24, 2007, at 3:01 PM, Barry G. Sumpter wrote:

> Select *
> FROM [Documents]
> WHERE Path
>  LIKE '%Valentina%'
> AND  [FileName]
>  LIKE '%Microsoft%'

So, my search text...

SELECT recID, *
FROM tbl_cont
WHERE cont_namecomplete LIKE '%May%'

...seems to be okay.

There must be some other problem at work here. Perhaps something to
do with Valentina; an error that I'm not catching.

Looking over the reference for Valentina2, I'm noticing the
ThrowExceptions property. Heretofore, I had a check for errors in SQL
calls based on ErrNumber, i.e.,  errNum = App.tDatabase.ErrNumber,
was called after each SQL search. If the value was not 0 a message
would appear citing the error number.

I'm not sure what to make of throwing an exception. The documentation
is rather vague to me on that point. What is meant by 'throw
exceptions', as stated on page 17 of V4RB_Reference_2_en.pdf?

As it reads...

If this property is TRUE (default value) then Valentina for REALbasic
2.0 or new will throw
REALbasic exceptions. Otherwise Valentina 2.0 will not throw
exceptions and you need
check the property VDatabase.errNumber to see if a Valentina call was
successfull.

Regards,

Chuck